NATFA – One of its Kind!
NATFA is the most popular, oldest and most prestigious educational institution for theatre and film arts studies in Bulgaria, situated in the heart of the capital city Sofia, with over 70 years of history. We educate annually over 650 students who have the privilege to be taught by some of the most experienced professionals – over 85 full-time professors, adjunct professors and assistant professors, well recognized by their artistic achievements in the country and abroad.
Our programmes are accredited by the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA) and are designed to meet the individual needs of the students and to enable them to successfully find diverse professional opportunties in both the audiovisual genres and the performing arts.
The main building of the Academy is in the centrally located at the densely populated part of the capital. This location offers easy access to key cultural events. Short commutes and low cost transportation are appreciated by foreign students. This part of the city offers walkability, bicycling infrastructure, parks and green areas, comfortable for sports, relaxation and social gatherings. Our Academy is situated on the so called “Bulgarian Broadway” – near Rakovski Street. There are several major theatres, a big concert hall, the National Opera and the National Theatre in the neighbourhood. The National Palace of Culture is a ten-minute walking distance from NATFA. Many galleries, including the National Gallery, are also situated in the neighbourhood.
Throughout the years, our Academy has accepted many foreign students, including those who have been on ERASMUS+ exchange programmes. We have admitted students from Portugal, Spain, Lithuania, Macedonia, Germany, Turkey, Finland, Sweden, France, USA, Australia, Japan, China and other countries – in our programmes, courses and traineeship options.
Read more about benefits for NATFA students here.
FOR THE STUDENTS
- You could study in our Academy for one semester, or for an academic year (two semesters). ERASMUS+ programme offers financial support – please, check with your university/academy for details about scholarships and study grants.
- The minimum traineeship period is 2 months and the maximum is 12 months.
- Successful completion of courses at our Academy will be recognized by your university, based on the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). Courses, available at NATFA and the credits are available below.
Study Schedule 2022-2023
For all students from: Bachelor and Master Programmes, Faculty of Stage Arts:
In the normal /non-pandemic/ times the SPRING SEMESTER is between 4th of February and 23th of May.
Students’ Books are signed by the professors: before 15th of May
Students’ Books are signed by the ERASMUS+ office: before 21st of May
Exam session has to be between 25th of May and 25th of June
- Theoretical disciplines: 11th June – 26th June
- Practical disciplines: 25th of May– 10th of July
Additional exam session (for students failing the regular one): 27th of June – 30th of June
Enrollment for the next Academic Year: Deadline: 30th of September
All Bachelor Programmes, 4th year studies: Faculty of Screen Arts:
Classes: 15th of September – 23th of December ; 11th of January -11th of April
Exams: 4th of January -07th of January; 12th of April 16th of April
Classes: 15th September 2022 – 23th of December
Christmas Break: 24 December– 3 January
Students’ Books are signed by the professors: 7 December– 15 December
Students’ Books are signed by the ERASMUS + office: 16 December – 22 December
Exam session: 4 January – 30 January
- Practical disciplines: 4 January – 16 January
- Theoretical disciplines: 17 January – 30 January
Additional exam session (for students failing the regular one): 31 January – 3 February
Enrollment for Summer Semester: Deadline: 20 February
Official opening of the Academic Year: 15 September
Official graduation ceremony: 23 May
Holidays and Non-attendance Days:
22 September – Independence Day
01 November – Day of the Bulgarian Revival Leaders
08 December – Students’ Holiday
24 December – 02 January – Christmas and New Year Holidays
03 March – Liberation Day
16 – 21 April – Easter Holidays
01 May – International Labour Day
06 May – St. George’s Day
24 May – Day of the Bulgarian Education and Culture and the Cyrillic Alphabet
Faculty of Stage Arts
Faculty of Screen Arts
FOR THE TEACHING STAFF
ERASMUS+ programme can assist you to teach at NATFA.
- ERASMUS+ offers financial support to teach at our Academy (please check for details with your university).
- The teaching period that is supported, is usually one week (minimum 8 teaching hours weekly) but can be extended up to a maximum of 6 weeks.
- Please contact our ERASMUS+ Coordinators to discuss all the academic details: email: email@example.com
FOR THE ADMINISTRATIVE STAFF
If you are interested in visiting our academy, please contact us: see below ERASMUS+Contacts.
I WAS SELECTED BY MY UNIVERSITY: WHAT TO DO NOW ?
Nomination by your university/academy
- Your university has to make you an ERASMUS+ nominee student and send us a letter about it.
- Application procedure/documents:
2.1. ERASMUS+ Application
2.2. Learning Agreement for Studies
2.3. Transcript of Academic Records.
2.5.Portfolio or audio/video recording (up to 15 min. of performance).
Please, fill, sign, scan and send all application documents by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Once we have received your Applications documents, we have one month to review and decide on your application and send you the Acceptance Letter.
Deadlines (application & NATFA nomination):
- Winter Semester: from September 15th to mid-February next year.
- Application: May 15th & Results: June 15th.
- Summer Semester (mid February – end June).
- Application: November 15th & Results December 15th
Accommodation: All ERASMUS+ students can be accommodated at reasonable prices at NATFA Dormitory, situated in the Students City in Sofia. It is a bohemian-type part of Sofia with a rich infrastructure including sport facilities, a wide variety of restaurants and entertainment centers, a specialized polyclinic, shopping areas, children playgrounds and nursery-schools, low-price students’ diners and a convenient transportation network.
- Incoming & Outgoing mobilities: Dr. Krasimira Ivanova (tel. +359 9231 231), Dr. Yana Dzharova – Karakoleva (+359 9231 233)
- Institutional Coordinator: Iliana Dimitrova (tel. +359 9231 211), e-mail: email@example.com
National Academy for Theatre and Film Arts (NATFA) “Kr. Sarafov”
International Relations Office
Hope you will spend a fruitful and unforgettable time at our Academy!
The European Commission’s support for the production of this publication does not constitute an endorsement of the contents, which reflect the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.